Friday, January 9, 2015

9 January 2015
Marsh Harbor, Abaco

We spent a few days anchored alone at Loggerhead Point. The area was lovely, relatively protected, the water clear. We snorkeled, fished and enjoyed the serenity. Robin speared some fish that were next some wrecked equipment and I caught another Bonefish. Robin had been out snorkeling and was coming into shore to pick me up. As she approached I notice three fish about thirty yards away. It’s really hard to see them, they are a silver mirrored color and you kind see a shadow on the bottom if the sun is high and no ripple on the water surface. Well I waved Robin off, made a cast, and all three fish started toward my fly. The largest of the three took it and started to move off, I set the hook and off he went. I tried to palm the reel to add drag and my finger was cut by the line. After 4 runs I got him to hand. Robin got to witness the whole thing and my embarrassing jubilation. I can’t tell you how exciting it is to catch one of these. I’m not very good at spotting them and have walked miles and miles of sand flats looking for them. Sometimes I notice them when they’re only a few feet away and they startle when I try to cast. But all in all it’s wonderful walking beautiful beaches in the sunshine. This fish was 24” long and I guess around 5-6 pounds.

We are now back in Marsh Harbor at a very nice marina, $0.85 per foot, $15 for water, all you want. We are reprovisioning for our next move south. In a few days we will go to Little Harbor and wait for an opportunity to go off shore to Eleuthera and continue south to the Exumas. We spent yesterday at the liquor store and grocery. We bought 6 cases of local “Sands” beer and 6 boxes of wines and lots of groceries. A case of local beer here sells for $36 per case. They did not have a sales tax until January 1, now there is a “VAT” (value added tax) so everything now costs 7.5% more.

This marina has a bar called the Jib Room (maybe a nice rename for the Chandlery at Bowleys). Wednesday nights they have a side of barbecued baby back ribs a pile of coleslaw, a pile of potato salad, and a roll for $29. Last night there was a potluck with all of the cruisers here and anchored in the harbor, a nice get together.

Ravens football tomorrow at “Snappa’s”. 


Only one or two pictures from Loggerhead and some more from Green Turtle. 
This is a brand new 46' Trimaran charter, $25,000  per  week with Capt'n and cook

Marsha and Chad from "Free Spirit" on B-Pier

Carting Groceries

Bar and Grill on the street at Great Guana Cay

Chad and Marsha's elves. They helped Santa Peter and and Santa Steve deliver presents by dink to boats at anchor in Hopetown

No comments:

Post a Comment